NOON until 7pm
Where: We will meet in the Parking Lot before departure
Offsite at Fairways Golf Club
Scouts have the opportunity to get a sometimes hard to get merit badge in the span of a single afternoon. This outing included basic instruction and a round of golf at Fairways and is available to youth as the merit badge program or to adults as a half-day excursion.
Ages & Stages Recommends: For 3rd year campers or longer
Pre-Reqs: Please be ready to discuss these, with the staff member before you head out to the Golf Course.
- Know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while golfing, including heat reactions, dehydration, blisters, sprains, and strains.
- Study the USGA Rules of Golf now in use.
- Tell about your understanding of the USGA system of handicapping.
- Do the following:
- a. Tell about the early history of golf.
- b. Describe its early years in the United States.
- c. Tell about the accomplishments of a top golfer of your choice.
- Discuss with your counselor vocational opportunities related to golf.
- Do the following:
- a. Tell how golf can contribute to a healthy lifestyle, mentally and physically.
- b. Tell how a golf exercise plan can help you play better. Show two exercises that would improve your game.
What to Bring: Khaki Pants/Shorts, Clean Sneakers, and a Collared Short
Recommended to Bring: Sunglasses, Sunscreen, Wide-brim Hat/Visor and a Water Bottle
Costs: $50 This covers the greens fee, club rental, and a short lesson.
Adults can check Fairways’ Website for prices, but get a free play (greens, clubs, and golf cart) with every 5 scouts who sign up.
Please make checks payable to BCCBSA
- Sign up HERE
- (All reservations go through Ockanickon Scout Reservation)
- Transportation needs to be arranged with your unit leaders. Carpooling may be available, but is not guaranteed.
- There are 20 spots available on Monday. A Thursday session will be opened if the Monday session fills up.
- The first scouts who pay will be signed up to fill the slots. This will be to make sure we fill the spots, and there are no cancellations/refunds.
- There are no refunds because your payment is to hold your spot.
- We will meet scouts in the front of the parking lot at Noon and depart from camp soon afterwards to make sure you are on time for your lesson.
- Bagged lunches will be provided before you depart.
- You may want to bring extra money. There is a concession stand at the golf course and an opportunity to stop for pizza on the way home.
- Please talk with Merit Badge Counselors to make up any work that may have been missed while golfing.
Requirements: Click Here! This page also provides links to information regarding certain requirements, which should prove to be helpful in preparing to take this merit badge at camp. This site offers reference sources in and below the requirements in order to make answering the questions easier. Scouts should use these resources to become more familiar with the material, and be better prepared for the class.