About Ockanickon Scout Reservation

The Washington Crossing Council was originally incorporated under the law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the Courts of Bucks County on August 13, 1928 and the official name was Bucks County Council, Boy Scouts of America. Immediately after, Henry Palmer headed a committee to find a camp site. They decided on a site along the Raritan River, first renting and finally buying the site. The “Good Times Hall” was donated by Mr. Palmer, and the Doylestown Kiwanis Club donated a craft lodge. “BUCCOU” was picked as the name for the camp since the site was located out of the county. Although it was a very beautiful site, it was never popular with Bucks County Scouts.

Camp Ockanickon was purchased in 1940 and Buccou was sold. Camp Ockanickon has grown and is enjoyed by thousands of boys and young adults each year. It is open for weekend use by Cub Packs for picnics and Webelos Overnighters, Scout Troops and Explorer co-ed events.

A new swimming pool was completed at Ockanickon for the 1969 season and Sky Lake camping property was acquired. Two major improvements were made at Ockanickon during 1970-71 the addition of the Order of the Arrow Memorial Lodge and a new maintenance building.

From 1972 through 1979 improvements continued at Ockanickon Scout Reservation with the addition of a new lake, picnic areas, and a leadership development area including a new Leadership Development Building. Washington Crossing Historic Trail and the Delaware Canal programs were introduced. The first council-sponsored Wood Badge course was held at Sky Lake in August 1975.

In 1975, following extensive study, it was decided to sell Sky Lake, with the proceeds to be used for improvements at Ockanickon. Lake site campsites were developed and opened at Ockanickon for the 1975 season.

In 1987 a new shower facility was built to facilitate the higher volume of people. And in 1992 the swimming pool, after twenty-three years of use, was rebuilt.

In 1995 Foster Hall was built to replace the dining hall and kitchen functions of Palmer Lodge. Palmer Lodge still exists today as rental cabin space and used during the summer for indoor program space.

In 2019 the council installed two new shower houses and began renovating the old latrine structures. To date, eight latrines have been rebuilt. 

In 2023, the council installed a brand new pool and pumphouse which replaced the 1969 pool. This pool is the 3rd in the history of the camp.